Due in Week 5 and worth 230 points.
In the Strayer Library, go to the EBSCO-Host Academic database. Find a recentresearch article from a scholarly journal in the field of psychology. It musthave been published less than twelve (12) years ago. Be sure to select anarticle for which the full-text is available. This will be your “targetarticle”. Actual journals for which full-text is available include Advancesin Cognitive Psychology, British Journal of Social Psychology, Journal ofPositive Psychology, Issues in Forensic Psychology, Journal of Psychology,among many others. In some cases, publishers do not make the full-text availableon EBSCO-Host for twelve (12) months after publication. Note:Do not use newspaper or magazine articles or Websites such as Wikipedia tocomplete this assignment. Read Strayer University’s guidelines againstplagiarism.
Your selected article must meet all of the stated criteria or your assignmentwill not be accepted. Beforeproceeding, please ensure that your selected article meets the followingcriteria:
- Full-text is available in EBSCO-Host database.
- Is a scholarly journal article in the field of psychology.
- Was published less than 12 years ago.
Read key sections of the chosen article in order to derive its general gist.Begin by reading the Abstract of the article. Subsequently, read theIntroduction and the Discussion sections. Search through the paper for anyfigures or tables. Be sure to read as much of the paper as is practical in orderto digest as much as you are able.
Write a paper of 450-600 words (1.5 to 2 pages) in which you:
- Identify your selected article, using a proper APA-style in-text citationthat corresponds to an entry in the reference section, as explained below under”How to properly cite your article”.
- Describe what type of article it is and how you are able to discern itstype. For example, is it primarily a review of existing research, a report ofnew research, or an analysis of a professional issue? If it is a researcharticle, identify the type of research involved.
- Summarize, in a paragraph or two (2), what you have learned about thecontent of the article. Include the main purpose of the article, the majorfindings, and how the major findings are supported.
- Explain the manner in which your selected article fits into the overallfield of psychology. Next, identify the corresponding chapter(s) from yourtextbook, using a proper APA-style in-text citation to your text.
- Explain the fundamental reasons why this article is different from andsimilar to articles in non-scholarly periodicals, such as magazines andnewspapers.
How to properly cite your article
In APA format, we put the full listing of each source in a “reference” listat the end of the document. In the body of the text, we use what are calledin-text citations. Here is an example of an in-text citation:
The article I selected is one about well-being in senior citizens who arehousebound (Houston, McKee & Wilson, 2000).
For the purposes of this assignment, you only need to put one (1) in-textcitation to your target article and one (1) in-text citation to the textbook.However, you may cite either of these sources as many times as needed. Forinstance, you must always give an in-text citation with a quote. Here is anexample.
This study was grounded in “Hopelessness Theory”. The authors state that”according to the theory, the causal chain to hopelessness and depression beginswith either a perceived negative life event or the perceived non-occurrence ofpositive events” (Houston, McKee, & Wilson, 2000).
This relates to the chapter in our textbook (Santrock, 2006) on”Coping”.
We should keep in mind that “the context of our lives includes our homes,schools, churches, cities, neighborhoods, communities and colleges, as well asnations” (Santrock, 2006, p. 6).
Since there are only two (2) required sources in this paper (the targetarticle and your textbook), you only need to cite these two (2) courses.However, in a longer research paper, you would use an in-text citation for everysource. Please note that if you do use additional sources in this assignment,then you must provide the corresponding in-text citations and references foreach and every source.
Citing a book:
References to books use the following format:
Author list. (year of publication). Title (should be italicized).Volume or edition information, if applicable. Place of publication:Publisher.
Santrock, J. W. (2006). Human adjustment. New York, NY:McGraw-Hill.
The corresponding in-text citation would be: Santrock (2006).
Citing a journal article:
References to journal articles use the following format:
Author list (Year of publication) Title of article. Name of Journal,Volume number, page numbers.
- Houston, D. M., McKee, K. J., & Wilson, J. (2000). Attributional style,efficacy, and the enhancement of well-being among housebound older people.Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 22, 309-317.
- Ludicello, J. E., Woods, S. P., Scott, J. C., Cherner, M., Heaton, R. K.,Atkinson, J. H., & Grant, I. (2010). Longer term improvement inneurocognitive functioning and affective distress among methamphetamine userswho achieve stable abstinence. Journal of Clinical and ExperimentalNeuropsychology, 32, 708-718.
- Peterson, C., Bonechi, A., Smorti, A., & Tani, F. (2010). A distantmirror: memories of parents and friends across childhood and adolescence.British Journal of Psychology, 101, 601-620.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inchmargins on all sides; Since the only resources you will be using for thisassignment are the article and your textbook, you need not include a referencepage. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’sname, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page isnot included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignmentare:
- Identify key concepts that provide a foundation for the study ofadjustment.
- Summarize the major psychological perspectives.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues inpsychology.
- Write clearly and concisely about psychology using proper writingmechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the followingrubric.