Sensation and Perception
This discussion has two options. Select one of the options and indicate which one you chose in your response.
Recruit someone you trust to help you. Have them prepare two items foryou to taste (tell them to be nice), but do not let them tell you whatthey are. While they are preparing the items, find something to use as ablindfold and plug your nose so you cannot smell. You should not beable to see or smell the food while sampling it. As you chew, see if youcan recognize the flavor. If not, unplug your nose and see if thathelps you detect it. If that doesn’t work, take off the blindfold andsee if you can identify it.
Once you have completed this activity, provide an analysis by sharing the following as you respond:
- Were you able to determine the food without smell or sight?
- At what point did you identify the food (e.g., blindfolded with nose plugged, blindfolded with nose unplugged, or neither)?
- Analyze the relationship between taste and smell.
- Analyze the relationship between taste and sight.
Explain the processes involved in how one senses the world around them(sight, touch, hearing, etc). If you had to give up one, which would itbe? Why? What in your life (think about home, work, school) would beimpacted by this lack of sense? How does perception influence yoursensory systems?
Your initial post must be a minimum of 200 words and utilize at leastone scholarly source (e.g., the course textbook, a peer reviewed articlefrom the Ashford University Library, or a professional web source),cited according to APA format as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of yourclassmates who chose a different option than you. Discuss the insightsthey shared from the completed activity.
In response to Option A:
- Do you agree with their analysis of the relationship between sight, smell, and taste?
- Which do you think is more important with regards to taste?
In response to Option B:
- Would you give up the same sense that they opted to?
- Do you think they anticipated all of the challenges with the sense that they decided to give up?